August 31, 2009

The Warm-weather Hat

My weekend was perfect. The weather was balmy, the celebrations were joyous and the best part was that I spent it with the most amazing person ever. Yesterday after a lazy Sunday afternoon nap we decided to go on a trip to the deli and stock up our picnic basket with deliciously rich foods and red wine. Watching the sun set over the river and then watching the stars cross over the sky was too pretty to be true. It was so warm laying in the park at night until the wine got to us and we retired home back to bed.

Surprisingly this morning was freezing and the day has been quite cold. After wearing florals and whites all weekend, the weather called for change and so I donned my winter blacks to uni. Kind of contradictory given the fact that boater hats were informally known as the Warm-Weather Hat in the days when it was customary for all men to wear hats outdoors. Anywho this was the result.


Vintage boater hat, Etsy. Dress, Emma Rea. Blazer, thrifted. Ballet flats, Bloch. Stockings, Leona Edmiston.

I've found myself to be quite obsessed with boater hats recently and after waiting months to find the perfect one online, I finally purchased this one for around $AU14 including postage off Etsy. My best friend found a great hat in an op-shop when we were on a road trip down in Byron Bay recently but it has a pink ribbon and needs a bit of re-shaping. I can't wait to add more to my collection.

9 comments:

anne said...

straw can be a tad disconcerting but this definitely works, especially with the black bow. i want to find a black felt one! could be wishful thinking.

Emma said...

ohmygod i fricken LOVE that boater. I am DESPERATE for one - have been searching everywhere. V hard to find here, and no private schools wear them - I vaguely remember Brisbane Boys College used to wear them when I was a kid?

Miann - Fashion Falsehood said...

@emma - haha yeah the BBC candy men. Their boaters are so god damn stiff they layer those things with varnish. Mine is already falling to pieces so I think it's time for a trip to the hardwear store

rebecca said...

love the hat! i wish icould wear hats but i get so self conscious and i find it terribly annoying having something sitting on my head! x

Miss. Ore said...

i love this hat and dress

Miss. Ore said...

i love this hat and dress

alex*at*aufdemaur said...

cute! love the little ribbons streaming down the back!

oriwa said...

that is the cutest little hat! i've been scouring the stores for something along those lines. pretty over the trendy fedora and the like, your hat is just perfect

x

angie said...

you look gorgeous i love your outfit x x